Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 8:18pm

Balance: £4.15
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Advice on inherited Scorpio »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Advice on inherited Scorpio
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Advice on inherited Scorpio  (Read 2568 times)
TWhits

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Advice on inherited Scorpio
« on: Feb 16th, 2017, 11:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Following the recent death of my mother in law, we found, sat in her garage, a Ford Granada Scorpio car that was owned by my father in law who died a few years earlier.  It has not been driven for at least five years except that, about three years ago, I understand that the tyres were inflated, the battery charged and the car taken onto the drive (and then returned) to allow electric garage doors to be fitted. It has only had the one owner from new in April 1993. The tyres and battery are now all flat and the car is covered in dust but the inside looks immaculate (including the boot), I have not seen any dents or scratches, and it has low mileage (~54,000 miles).  

Presumably, to the right person, this would be of value and something to treasure?

Does anyone have any advice on what we should (or should not) do with this car?

Thanks in anticipation.
IP Logged
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Advice on inherited Scorpio
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16th, 2017, 6:09pm »

I would say that you would have to put a battery on it and check what works and check for rust so as to work out what parts and work needs to be done. You will certainly  need to replace the tyres and probably all the fluids. Then if you are going to do this maybe a major service?  You may have stale fuel in it which may need to be replaced. When running it after all this you could get leaks from gaskets and hoses from ageing and non use. All this could cost a fortune but  at the end of it it could be a nice car but the costs could be more than the car is worth. Oh and the exhaust and fuel tank should have a close inspection for corrosion as you do not know what they were like when put in the garage or how well maintained it was.  

The alternative would be to sell it as a barn find and not have the hassle and cost of getting it into a good condition and mot'd. There is a Granada forum   on the internet which could help you more with advice and parts and possible prices as is and if it was all roadworthy but I am sure others on here can help.

Andy
IP Logged
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16th, 2017, 7:11pm »

As its a Granada Scorpio, it should have all the toys, electric seats, windows, sunroof etc. They are a very nice car, I have owned one for about 20 years, it will be worth putting back on the road. The body work is the most important thing, they rust on the front of the bonnet, sills, rear wheel arches,underneath at the back, basically where the scorp rusts Grin if these places are ok, it will sell for more. What size of engine has it got.

Gerald
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16th, 2017, 9:14pm »

As you have mentioned the car is a 1993 model, you have a Mk3 Granada with the top spec Scorpio trim level.
These are getting quite rare now, especially if in decent condition - sounds like yours has been garaged and has very low mileage.
I'm sure a Granada enthusiast would be very interested in this.
Is it a saloon, hatchback or estate & which engine & transmission does it have, also what colour ?
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
TWhits

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17th, 2017, 8:01am »

Many thanks for the advice so far.  I don't know enough about cars to risk trying to get it on the road personally, it would need a mechanic - which might get costly - and so we are favouring selling at some point.

Seems I am not sure of the difference between a "Scorpio" and a "Granada Scorpio" - can anyone enlighten me?

To try to answer the various questions:
It is a silver, 4 door saloon, 1998cc petrol.  Don't know about transmission.
I didn't see any rust but didn't look underneath.

Does that help?
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 17th, 2017, 8:26am »

Take a picture and let us see it . we will soon tell you .  
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 17th, 2017, 8:34am »

If you look at This advert it shows the Granada Scorpio. Click on the thumbnail photo which shows the gear lever. You will see that it is an Automatic.  

If you look on This page the main picture is of one of 'our' cars the Scorpio. The car was nicknamed  'The Frogeye' due to the large headlights. The difference between the two cars is thus very marked. 'Our' model replaced the Granada which you appear to have.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 17th, 2017, 8:35am »

And this one shows the Scorpio
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 17th, 2017, 8:42am »

Hi Snoopy.
We aim to please!
 Grin
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Scorpio_Mike

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Feb 17th, 2017, 8:47am »

Mk3 Granada v Scorpio - in a nutshell

Mk3 Granada - Produced from 1985 to 1994 initially as a hatchback and later in saloon & estate versions, sold with various trim levels & options - the top trim level being Scorpio. Mk3 Granada has rectangular headlights which slope downwards in the centre.

Scorpio - Produced from 1994 to 1998 in saloon & estate versions only, sold with various trim levels & options - top trim level being Ultima. Scorpio has the 'Bug-eye' shapes headlights.

Transmission types or gearbox - choice of 2 - manual or automatic. Manual cars have a clutch pedal & the gearstick will have numbers 1~5 & R on the top, automatic cars have no clutch pedal and the gearshift has a T handle with P-R-N-D-2-1 on the shifter console.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
TWhits

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Feb 18th, 2017, 7:54am »

Thank you for the responses - this is certainly helping me focus my thoughts.  By the sounds of it, we probably have one of the later Mk3 Granadas with the Scorpio trim level.  Inside certainly gives the impression of top trim level.  If so, then, as Snoopy seemed to imply when I initially asked to join this group, maybe this Scorpio group is not the exact match - but that makes me even more grateful that you have been so helpful.

We can't remember the gear stick for sure and it is 2.5 hours drive in each direction to check.  Let me see if I can manage to include a photo - I took some along with lots of photos around the house.  They only show the dusty outside, I am afraid.  .....  Drat, I can't seem to paste in a photo and I can't see any buttons to do it either.  Let me try inserting a link to a similar car instead:
http://www.motorstown.com/10804-ford-granada-scorpio.html#gal_10804_ford -granada-scorpio-04.jpg

That seemed to work (at least in preview) - the headlights are similar in that they seem to come around to the side but are clear not amber, it has the same indents on the bonnet and the trim along the sides.

Thanks again for the help, I will see if I can find as helpful a group as yours but for the Granada Scorpio.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Feb 18th, 2017, 8:33am »

Try This link. Good luck and perhaps let us know how you get on. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
TWhits

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Feb 19th, 2017, 9:02am »

Thanks Simmo.  That was the group I found first before this one.  I emailed my request on 31st January and received an auto-response saying emails are no longer monitored (unlike Snoopy who sent a helpful response before I could blink!!) but pointed me at their Facebook group.  I posted (as a guest) on that Facebook group a similar message to the one I posted here, but no responses.  It looks as if that group is far less active or helpful than this one.

Thanks for trying but I am beginning to despair of finding anyone interested in this old, well loved car.  Seems such a shame as I would have thought it would be ideal for the right person.  It may end up going for scrap as I don't know enough to fix it up myself and it sounds expensive to have someone get it roadworthy for me - besides, I don't really need another car or one like this - nice and luxurious as it appears to be.
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Feb 19th, 2017, 9:26am »

Sounds far too good to consider scrapping it  Shocked
Probably worth listing on the Pistonheads site - someone will be interested I'm sure.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Feb 19th, 2017, 10:13am »

I agree with Scorpio Mike. In the right quarters these are much sought after. I'd do a lot more searching before just letting it go.

UPDATE. I did a quick Google search and This site came up. I'd be on the phone to one of those guys PDQ. I see in News that they have a meeting in Enfield in March.
It looks a very professional set up. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 19th, 2017, 11:34am »

As others have said, seems to good to scrap or to race. Where is the car.
IP Logged
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Feb 19th, 2017, 2:58pm »

I am sure that if we knew where it is members here would look at it for you and give you better advice on what needs doing to it or how much you should ask for it.
IP Logged
TWhits

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Feb 19th, 2017, 3:51pm »

Thank you again for the reassurance that the carprobably does have some value.  It is based in South Yorkshire but we live 2.5 hours drive away from there.  If anyone could give a hint as to value, that would be helpful.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Feb 19th, 2017, 4:00pm »

TWits. I'm afraid no one can give you any meaningful estimate without seeing the car. You need to somehow arrange viewing when you are going to be in the area unless you have a trusted neighbour? who might agree to help out.  Failing that you risk not realising the cars potential. Have you contacted the other group I put the link up to?
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Scorpio_Mike

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Feb 19th, 2017, 6:34pm »

If the car is in good rust free condition and the 54k miles is genuine, even without an MOT I think you are looking at £500 minimum.
These cars are getting rare and sought after now and with yours being the Scorpio spec is very desirable.  
Really good examples sell for £2000+
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.