Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 8:31pm

Balance: £4.15
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« british nil value to Scorpios »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   british nil value to Scorpios
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: british nil value to Scorpios  (Read 1435 times)
Torbayboy

View Profile

british nil value to Scorpios
« on: Sep 9th, 2018, 1:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Was browsing the web last night and thinking... why are the Scorpios worth so little in the GB?

Surely not jester Clarkson and his disapproval of them though interestingly the scorpio hearse Cosworth if it had been stripped of the rear coffin gear would have peed all over the Porsche in the drag race , and in time the looks have merged with many more "ugly" cars around nowadays, look at all the cars from the early noughties with similar front ends.

Once you get under the skin its a b****y good car able to hold its own amongst many newer cars, with a level of equipment even in its day to die for!

Stumbled across a site called "The  parking" had over 100 "Scorpios" listed (some G word ones included) many in Germany with quite a few in Poland, prices went from £350 ish (brits of course) to over £6000 with many at 2 or 3 grand - would love a really sound 2.3  or cossie but unless you want a left hooker they ain't out there matey, sometimes I feel I am rowing aboat without a paddle, done more than my bit to save some despite only having Scorpios for less than 2 years now at least 3 of the cars I purchased would have been destroyed by now, but they are on the road with new owners enjoying them.

What with all the bangers boys (tried to buy the cos estate sheel off gumtree ex spikie got told NO) and splitters (bottom of the stack definately)  on fleabay and the "gotta have" a Cos anglia, capri, tranny, 100e, cortina boyos the ones left in this country have no chance of survival.  

Then there's  the fish tailers scrap lads see a Scorp on my drive and think its a cheap wreck - one finger does the trick there Angry  looks like we did have 30000 registered here at some time, now down to less than 1400 where will it all end Sad

Rant over  just sad, as we sit here saying how good they are wondering where they have all gone -  one day it will be "shame they're all left hand drive"!!
IP Logged

Cosworth Scorpio only 46 on the road now NOW down to 42.
Torbayboy

View Profile

Re: british nil value to Scorpios
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12th, 2018, 2:14pm »

Noticed no comments on my rant above, am I the only one who feels this way? or have I p***d you all off so much you're sending me to Coventry (Essex would be better as Scorpios live there).

Anyway its the way I see it really love these motors and wanted to try and get more interest in them and feeedback from people, quite a few are thinking of flogging theirs, but no money out there for the poor old Scorp.

Stags and the other british leyland c*** can  make good bucks for rubbish cars look at all the MGBs Moggie thous  midgets and other stuff churned out by BL and wonder what went wrong - perhaps another Brummie having a tea break.

ANyway the P plate has to go first with a decent offer can have it, room needed.

Notice my old 2.3 saloon has popped up on ebay again, got pricier now and wants over £2300 for it- nice profit for less than a grand invested I say, BUT you gotta sell it yet matey Roll Eyes
IP Logged

PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 12th, 2018, 5:44pm »

Roy, your rant is very valid.   As you already know you have since joining made a very valid and strong contribution to this site.   My 'Old-Movvy' would have died if it wasn't for your strength of ownership of the Scorpio.   Unfortunately, the Scorpio has never been a 'Fashionable' car.   Too far ahead of it's time, better comfort than Either of my Jaguars, performance in Cosworth state to match the smaller engine Jaguars for 2/3 of the price.   Problems............not any more than other cars of the age, but, for the performance of a Jaguar, one must have the Cosworth car, and they are fickle.   Looking-after old cars needs patience and knowledge, 75% of people that think they have knowledge don't really know what they are speaking about.   So, inevitably the Scorpio like many other cars of it's era are left to a few people that know what they are doing, and people like yourself who are very zealous about the mark.   This site is the best of ANY site I visit to do with vehicles Car and Bike.   The Jaguar Forums are supportive but rubbish in comparison.    

Roy, I think you're a great ambassador of the mark, so you need to rise above what anyone else on this site might feel, think or say about your threads.

Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14th, 2018, 8:47pm »

OK PJ on the Christmas card list you are, are there specials stamps when posting to another country??

Over the years your input has been fantastic and I have referred to your contributions to matters Scorpio many times, great shame you had to let yours go, and I often wonder if you would have another - given the chance of a tidy car?

Should you ever change your mind and go for it please let is all know.

It was a great pleasure meeting up with you, and a great shame such a sad day for you at the time  - BUT the car lives on and with a young and appreciatve owner!

He's looking to tidy the arches before Christmas and get the car looking as sweet as it drives, will try and add pictures  (help needed here you guys), perhaps start a trend as pictures of the mark in its variants are not to be found, sure theres a few stunning examples amongst members.

IP Logged

QuentinG

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15th, 2018, 10:16pm »

I bought my Scorpio simply because I'd always liked them and always wanted one, but when it was new it was a bit out of my price range and the only option would have been the 2.5TD which didn't seem to be well regarded.
I had a very varied shortlist for my third car but was naïve in not doing my research on the Scorpio - I assumed that any Ford that is only about 20 years old would have easy parts availability, few foibles and plenty of people ready and able to work on it. As it turns out, it is easier to get parts and support for my Morris Minor (this site excepted). In the end I bought it on a whim and it is touch and go whether I can justify keeping it, or any third car for that matter. A factor in the decision will be the ability to get the bodywork sorted, which in turn will free me to get the mechanics and electrics serviced and to another MoT. From the point of view of driving it, though, I really like it and have had a few compliments about it as well as being told how ugly it is. The interest and values may well be the same for its contemporaries, e.g. the Omega, 800 and 605.
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 19th, 2018, 4:56pm »

Hi  It seems you have most of the body stuff already in view, bear in mind with a Scorp they do not do well standing and a lot of the electric "gremlins" vanish when used regularly, currently running 3 i(ncluding Xanders) and we cycle them - so generally they all run sweetly.

Best thing is drive it on longer runs they take a lot of beating then, as for "ugly" - not really, and time is kinder to them than the eighties Granada (actually a Sierra that has been watered regularly to make it grow)!

Let us all know how you progress with the car. Cool

Roy
IP Logged

Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Nov 21st, 2018, 8:56pm »

Hi Roy Reading your first message here about Clarkson and his hatred of the scopio I seem to remember one of the trials they did where they had to buy a old car and convert it into a ambulance and then do several different quests in them and James May bought a scorpio and it was the only car to survive to the end of the quests and it won most of them proving Clarkson is a idiot which most of us knew anyway lol.
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 22nd, 2018, 8:26am »

Hi I think they used a few over the years, as you sayMay had converted one, the cossie hearse in the drag race would have thrashed the porsche (vw beetle with large engine) if they took the excess baggage from the back out, and of course they sank one in an African river.
If youve 5 minutes to spare this make interesting viewing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opshjQ8hJ24

TTFN
Roy
IP Logged

Glyn

Now an OAP ! 95 cossie and another !and a 12v

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Nov 22nd, 2018, 9:03pm »

Didn't they drive one off the edge of a quarry to see how far it would "fly" ?
IP Logged
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Nov 28th, 2018, 10:35am »

I recall the original Top Gear when Clarkson reviewed the 'replacement for the Granada' comparing it with a Merc, BMW & (I think) Audi. Of the 4 he said he preferred the Cossie as it had the best comfort, level of equipment and "the power of an aircraft carrier".

As he walked away from the Scorp he then said "but who'd want to be seen driving in that".  

He was certainly right on the 1st 3. And if the comments I've had from fellow (non Scorpio) drivers and mechanics over the years are anything to go by - totally out of it on the last.
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Nov 30th, 2018, 6:09pm »

Looks like the current "nil value" is around £450 as had a banger boy wanting pearns earlier (see cars for sale).

So they are on the rise after all then Shocked Shocked
IP Logged

a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 2nd, 2018, 6:21pm »

The prize money in banger racing must be worth having if they will pay that.  We have lost a lot of good cars to the banger boy in the past, I think there is a bonus if the car is rare.
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Dec 3rd, 2018, 8:05am »

The trouble is no one wants a Scorpio, still trying to move on a cos saloon (with issues but fixable), so I get banger boys ringing they spend all their money on an engine (£2500) as I have been informed - thats where all the 2.3 motors have gone.  

Looks like I will have to split the car and sell the shell to them.

I have run out of space or I would just park it up this is not practical with 4 on the road and in use - have saved many as you all know but there comes a time..... Shocked   it has to go!

Anyone got a spare field to park in?
IP Logged

QuentinG

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Dec 4th, 2018, 10:50pm »

Maybe try again after Christmas, it all goes quiet around now particularly for hobby cars.
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Dec 12th, 2018, 6:18pm »

Decision made!!  Shocked

The car is staying with me, cosworth parts are so hard to find now that the money I wanted for the car is overshadowed by swapping out all the parts  needed to keep my road cars going.
 When the car is no longer moveable then it will have to be split down and parts labelled and stored, then (reluctantly) the shell will have to be sold off.

A sad day for me as I dont believe in splitting Scorpios for bits, but the huge amount of trouble finding parts for them all now makes this my only way to view the car, as the banger boys say "it helps to keep yours on the road"  - unless you want a door, bonnet, boot, body panel, steering rack,  blah blah  ...... the list goes on.

Thanks to all for your comments, all would be lost without help from this site!
IP Logged

a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 12th, 2018, 7:12pm »

That makes a lot of sense Roy, I know its hard but sometimes needs must. I have been buying bits when I see them, ebay etc, so I have some of the common bits, abs sensors, filters, watch what oil filter you get for the cosworth as some are to long and can get to hot next to the exhaust.
Cheers  Gerald
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jan 18th, 2019, 9:39pm »

Hi Gerald, done this job now and cured the noise in the motor with oil and filter change.

Took advice from local spanner man who also lectures (me about Scorpios also), and used an oil from Mill auto parts here in Paignton together with the genuine Ford oil filter (short one as this is right for the Cosworth) with the oil retention "thingy"  (lovely word that almost as good as b****s)  Shocked

Happy Scorpioing for 2019 from Debn.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.