Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 5:09am

Balance: £34.25
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« big ends »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   big ends
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: big ends  (Read 631 times)
Torbayboy

View Profile

big ends
« on: Sep 22nd, 2018, 3:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

big ends = big job or easy fix Undecided Cos of course
IP Logged

Cosworth Scorpio only 46 on the road now NOW down to 42.
OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

Re: big ends
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22nd, 2018, 5:24pm »

A quick read suggests, that if you did this

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/engines/24v/24VRemSump.pdf

and then only steps 42 & 44 in here

42 & 44 here http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/engines/24v/24VDismantle.pdf

You might be able to just replace the shells engine in place from below. Of course when you get there you may find the crank is shot and needs a regrind, in which case it would be engine out and full strip. But I have done many a Triumph engine just replace shells and they have the done a further 30-50K before the inevitable full rebuild.

Alan
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22nd, 2018, 6:51pm »

With the Cossie Engine, I would say Seven to Eight times of Ten, you would need to do the journals on the crank.   Not so with the Four Cyl' engine, or a straight-Six like a Triumph, but with the 'V' engine there's more pressure on the journals so when something goes wrong it's more fatal.   (Strain and Tension, like Bow's Notation)
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22nd, 2018, 6:59pm »

Ahh well anyone wanna cossie?
IP Logged

OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 22nd, 2018, 7:40pm »

Hm I shouldn't but cossie with blown engine, may just be attractive as a spares supply, don't sell/send it for scrap without posting here first!

Alan
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 22nd, 2018, 8:52pm »

Would like to fix it ....but will get spanner to have a look first, if its just a set of shells then will fix, just adds to the list of things to fix on it. You can have it as it is for what it stands me in, but it wont make the midlands from here.
IP Logged

OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 22nd, 2018, 11:18pm »

If it was me I'd take a look inside also, it doesn't look over complicated to drop the sump, and by the sounds of it you have at least a 20% chance of being lucky. With the Vitesse I have to do a complete engine & gearbox out to drop the sump!
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Sep 23rd, 2018, 7:06am »

Hi its a bit of a project this one, had it all arranged to get the welding done for new mot and sort the paint (lacquer peel) having done the ABS fault with a new dash, was told by spanner to try some wynns etc but it appears too late have only done about 15 miles with it primarily because I was lied too and led to believe all that was needed to fix was sort a lock problem (done) and fix paint when I won the car.

IMHO the car is too good to scrap as the Cossie in particular seem to be victimised for their motors for any Tom D i c k & Harry to put in some lesser deserving heap, I wonder if any of them are properly insured on the road.

I see PJs point so will have a preliminary look if possible to see how bad the crank is and take it from there, mechanically I'm challenged last car I worked on was in the 70s being my old 105e.

Would be a shame to see it go the way of many others and become a bits bin, it's hard enough finding a reasonably solid one and to scrap it over a damaged engine seems really bad to me.

Have saved and redirected back into real use several over my short time with Scorpios -  just love the cars and with so little left now i feel it's time for all to pull together to save whats left, I caertainly have done my bit on this my old 2.3 Ghia is currently on ebay lovely car but too slow, never been pushed - particularly when put alongside Movvy - so i bought another Cossie circular story Huh
IP Logged

Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 2nd, 2018, 10:45am »

Hi,

I've got a Cosworth Long Block with a good bottom end taking up space in my shed, no heads etc but was a good Engine.
I would recommend stripping and cleaning it all as it has stood for a long while.

I put my other Engine in my "lesser deserving heap", a 4WD Wide Arch Puma built from a bare shell, which of course is actually Insured and also a helluva lot faster and better handling than the Scorpio it came out of  Roll Eyes

You'd need to collect it from NW Scotland, IV40 postcode area, and I'll take £150 for it if it's any good to you.
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.