Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 3:50am

Balance: £24.15
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Any tricks for getting a 5000 radio/cassette out? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Any tricks for getting a 5000 radio/cassette out?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Any tricks for getting a 5000 radio/cassette out?  (Read 457 times)
DavidBE

1998 Ghia X 2.9 24V Auto Estate

View Profile

Any tricks for getting a 5000 radio/cassette out?
« on: Jan 3rd, 2021, 10:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I just can't get the blasted 5000 audio unit out.

This is embarrassing. With the 12 cars I had between 1980 and 2007, plus those of assorted friends and colleagues, I was always popping radio/cassettes in and out for one reason or another without any problems. When I got the Scorpio 2.3 Ultima saloon in 2007, it had the 5000 unit and no CD player, and I rapidly found and ordered the adapter that plugs into the back in the CD socket and goes to a headphone jack, so I could play first an mp3 player, later a phone through the 5000 when CD was selected. I vaguely remember having trouble getting that 5000 out the first time, to plug in the adapter, and it taking several sessions before succeeding. But I can't remember anything special I did to finally shift it. In the hour between my new (to me) 2.9 Cossie Ghia-X estate arriving at the end of September and the 2.3 saloon departing, I whipped the 5000 back out of the 2.3 to retrieve the adapter without any trouble at all. But now ...

The Cossie also has the 5000 unit, and it does still have the (working) CD player, but I'd much rather be able to feed from my phone via the adapter, so need to get the 5000 out just the once for the few seconds it would take to unplug the CD feed, plug in the adapter and feed the lead to the jack plug through the ashtray. But I just can't shift it. Not a sign of it coming even slightly free on either side.

(I'm using the keys, obviously, which worked on the 5000 in my old Scorpio. I did consider leaving the CD player connected, and feeding the phone into the 5000 with one of those gizmos that plug in the lighter socket, link with the phone via Bluetooth, and then broadcast the phone output via FM to the 5000's radio, but it's ... better than the one I tried in 2007, but nothing like as good as feeding into the CD socket with the adapter.)

So does anyone have any tricks for shifting a recalcitrant 5000?
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

Re: Any tricks for getting a 5000 radio/cassette o
« Reply #1 on: Jan 4th, 2021, 8:53am »

Without sounding stupid, are the "keys" worn?
 Have you tried pushing the unit firmly back into its seating, in case it has "skewed" with attempts to remove it,  this may give a little slack and enable the locking tabs to move more freely and hence get the B out.

Perchance on land rovers (funny things farmers drive around fields chasing shhep etc) the trick is to use 2 kitchen knives and slide down the sides of the unit to release the tabs, as the tabs need to move inward on the scorp radios this may work, or not even!!
IP Logged

Cosworth Scorpio only 46 on the road now NOW down to 42.
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 4th, 2021, 10:32am »

That sounds to be good advice re the worn keys. They do need to locate fully and then be pushed outwards in order to release the clips. Are you sure they are fully 'home'?
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
DavidBE

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13th, 2021, 11:38pm »

Sorry to disappear like that after asking a question. I depend on a combo of prescribed painkillers to be even basically functional, and the patches that provide the large part of the effect have started running out a couple of days early, leaving me right out of it. Which happened a few hours after posting.

Update on my problem: this has turned into an extended comedy - or tragedy, depending how you look at it. Right now I think I'd cry if I had the strength. Remember, all I'm trying to do is pull out the 5000 radio, unplug the CD feed, plug in the Connect2 adapter I bought back in 2007 and fitted with no problem in my previous Scorpio, and refit the radio so I can plug the adapter's 3.5mm jack into my phone so I can play its audio through the 5000 in place of the CD player. 5 Minute max job, right? Instead:

1 Couldn't get the radio out with the keys I used just end of September to remove the 5000 in my old Scorpio to retrieve the adapter. Maximum pull I could make before the keys popped out wouldn't budge it even fractionally. So I ordered a set of 2 pairs of keys with slightly different ends from each other from Amazon. When they came, one set clicked in with a really sold clunk compared with my old ones, and I could pull much harder, Slowly, slowly the 5000 came out. End of problem ... except:

2 I couldn't get the new keys out of the catches in the 5000! 20 minute fight in the car, finally unplugged everything and took the 5000 indoors. A further hour, and I finally got a magnifying glass to look in from the side under the catches, saw what was holding the keys, and managed to slip a small screwdriver in from the side and lever down the spring bit I hadn't realised was there and remove the keys. Thought I was basically now all done, but:

3 Took 5000 back to car, connected up the plugs and plugged into phone, all working, but ... the 5000 wouldn't go all the way back in, stopped hard about 1 1/2 inches still out. And during the attempts the 5000 would suddenly throw up CD error, then No CD messages and lose phone connection. Only way to get it to connect through the adapter to the phone again was to pull out, then push back the plug into the 5000's CD input socket. Eventually I finally managed to get the 5000 fully back in, with the phone still playing music through the 5000. Huge sigh of relief ... but then, about two minutes later CD Error and No CD again on the 5000. Aaaaaargh. Repeated removals. re-plugging into the CD socket and replacements all produced the same result. Removing the 5000 so I can get at the plugs, removing the adapter's plug from the 5000's CD socket and putting it in again always restores the functioning and connection to the phone, but is also the ONLY way I've managed to get it working again, so pulling out the 5000 is required to fix the lost connection; and the connection goes again with the CD Error then No CD messages after just a minute or two, whether the 5000 is actually put back into place or not. Which is useless. At least, after that first removal and first return, the 5000 comes out (now using my original keys, which will release easily, unlike the new ones) and go back in quite easily.

4 I found, with the 5000 out but everything plugged and working with the phone playing through, that I could trigger a CD Error No CD disconnection, by poking the plug upwards or to one side (quite gently). I took this as a sign that the problem was either the CD socket in the 5000 or the adapter's plug - a bad connection in one or the other. Plugging the boot CD player back in, it works reliably whether the 5000 is out or back in. So I presumed the problem was the plug from the adapter, Couldn't get a replacement lead (it's custom with the custom Ford CD plug on one end a different plug into the adapter body on the other) but rather to my surprise Connect2 are still making them (as this series of Ford Audio products was fitted to a lot of other vehicles, not just the Scorpio), and I reluctantly ordered a new one, Which came today, and ...

5 Pulled out 5000, took out CD player plug, installed new adapter, connected phone, and .... NOTHING. Doesn't work at all. Unplugged the new adapter from its lead to the CD socket, and plugged the new lead into the old adapter. Works! So my new adapter is faulty, but the new lead works ,,, for a minute or two, then CD Error and No CD messages and the radio cuts in instead of the music from the phone, just like the old adapter with its original lead.

I'd bang my head on the wall if I could get over to the wall, which I can't as my latest patch is going early again.
IP Logged
DavidBE

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13th, 2021, 11:39pm »

I'm stuck. I'm supposing maybe it is the 5000's socket which is somehow OK with the plug on the end of the boot CD player lead but not the one(s) on the adapter. It's such a shame I have no off road parking, or I'd have kept my old Scorpio for parts and would have its 5000 - which worked fine with the adapter - to swap out and test. I'm contemplating buying another 5000 ... or probably 6000, as while I'm unlikely to ever want to play a CD, I'm still more likely to want to play a CD than a tape. But I've already wasted the money on the new adapter, and I can't keep wasting money, being on disability benefit and all.

Any opinions or suggestions? I will answer eventually if not immediately and appreciate any help.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.