Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 4:59am

Balance: £34.25
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Wishbones and Trackrods »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   How to do things!
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Wishbones and Trackrods
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wishbones and Trackrods  (Read 4801 times)
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

Wishbones and Trackrods
« on: Apr 10th, 2012, 9:45am »

I managed to change both Wishbones yesterday, and also changed the Track-Rods and Track-Rod ends.   It seemed wise to do both jobs at the one time because it's easier to get to the Ball-Joint bolt with the Track-Rod-End disconnected.   All went smoothly, with plenty of WD40, and Rost-Off-Ice.   I know this has been extensively covered in the 'Repairs' section, but I took a few pics that I'll put below.

Car supported.

Bolts to be removed.

Bolts removed, Wishbone out.

Track-Rod removed with rusty old Stilsons, (neighbours).

Cleaned the Rack, laid the old and new parts together to get an approximate length, note the new 'Ford' item has flats on it for re-location, 32mm.    

Job done.   There were a few stuck bolts.   I still have to do my wheel alignment, when it stops raining and I can get a quiet day at the local Tesco car-park!   All bolts were new Ford items as was all new bits except the Wishbones were QH.   The day before I did the job I tore-up a load of rags and soaked each rag with WD40 and wrapped a small soaked rag around each bolt, works wonders.   I did need the Rost-Off-Ice on both Ball-Joint bolts, they were really stuck in.

Peter.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

Re: Wishbones and Trackrods
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10th, 2012, 11:36am »

What was the price of the track rod PJ?
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

Re: Wishbones and Trackrods
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10th, 2012, 2:26pm »

The Track-Rods were £38 each including the Vodka & Tonic.   I only needed One T.R.End, at £33 inc because I got a brand-new Ford one off ebay last year for a fiver!   The Gaiters were expensive at £20 the pair.   But all Ford Items, from my friendly dealer, been going there for about 30 years and always get a keen discount.

Been out in the car and done the wheel alignment, and centred the rack, the car is completely different, feels as tight as it should now, no shimmy from the steering.   Very pleased with the job.   Also worth a mention that the bushes and ball joints weren't all that bad really, the Ball joint on the near-side was a bit slack, and the T.R.End on the off-side was a bit loose, I also had a slight cut in the gaiter at the end by the spring-clip.   I've also got nothing to loose if I ream-out the joints on the end of the wishbones and see if there is anything remotely likely to fit, I'll spend a day at a friendly Dingbro and go through their rack of joints.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Pages: 1  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.