Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 11:10pm

Balance: £24.15
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Front Lower suspension arms »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   News
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Front Lower suspension arms
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Front Lower suspension arms  (Read 10114 times)
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Front Lower suspension arms
« on: Sep 10th, 2011, 1:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello Everyone,
Just a quick note, I don't get on here very often but I thought this was worth posting.

After searching for lower suspension arms and finding the cheapest in the UK at nearly £150 each I found these at 82 Euros (around £70!)...

http://www.parts2go.de/Achsaufhaengung-Radfuehrung/Lenker/Lenkerlagerung /Lenker-Quer-Laengs-Schraeg-/Lenker-Radaufhaengung-QUINTON-HAZELL::849270-5747.html

Enjoy! Smiley

Graham
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Front Lower suspension arms
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15th, 2011, 9:16am »

Graham. This issue is a long running one and the crucial question is did you ACTUALLY get one??.  Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15th, 2011, 10:42am »

hi there

just got an update from graham.

part received and fitted to car! Smiley

IP Logged
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15th, 2011, 10:47am »

Hi Simmo, I actually got 2!! I ordered both sides.
I am aware that this has been a problem and got the QH part numbers from the forum. I was expecting an email from the supplier at some point along the line to say that they were out of stock or something. When I got the tracking number I was then concerned whther I was going to get the right parts, but, as you can see from the photos, and the fact that they are on my car now (MoT passed Smiley ) they ARE correct!. Zippety doo dah   Grin
As I said, I don't get on here often but I do read from time to time and I have gleaned very useful info in the past, so this is my little contribution.
Cheers,
Graham

IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 15th, 2011, 10:56am »

Graham, Thank you so much for that which is a great help. Can you just advise what the carriage was and how you got them ie: did you ring or just use the site and Paypal or similar. Thanks ,Mike.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 15th, 2011, 11:04am »

No problem Mike. I emailed them to start with to see if I could order them (their English is very good (as it always, embarrasingly, is!) and in the end I just used Paypal (but they were happy to take credit card details). Postage was 19 euros. Total was £166.86 after currency conversion etc.
I guess the next thing is to ask QH why we can't get these in the UK?! At German prices!!  
Cheers,
Graham
IP Logged
sad_eyes

'98 Ultima 24v  + '97 2.3 Ultima estate

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 15th, 2011, 11:10am »

Graham  I see the new arms have the rear bushes with them.Were they included if so did you have to pay extra.Or did you source from elsewhere?

I put used wishbones on for last MOT but now the dreaded knock has returned so will need to change again so complete new ones at that price is the way to go.
Cheers
Dave
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Sep 15th, 2011, 11:12am »

Graham. Thank you so much for that !. I have been on the phone to their head office and the International dept seem unable/unwilling to help. I am still 'on the case' as it seems a nonsense not to have them available here as you quite rightly say. Thanks again, Mike.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Sep 15th, 2011, 11:16am »

on Sep 15th, 2011, 11:10am, sad_eyes wrote:
Graham  I see the new arms have the rear bushes with them.Were they included if so did you have to pay extra.Or did you source from elsewhere?

I put used wishbones on for last MOT but now the dreaded knock has returned so will need to change again so complete new ones at that price is the way to go.
Cheers
Dave

Dave. Unless I've missed something the rear bush is nowhere to be seen!. It has always been a separate part and widely available. Huh
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 15th, 2011, 11:17am »

They came with the FRONT bushes (the ones pressed in). The rear bushes are seperate and pretty cheap anyway.

I had a knock a while ago and replaced ALL the bushes (ARBs too) and still had the knock. I was dreading it being the ball joint but in the end it was the drop links (and so flipping obvious too!!).
Then the car fails on the ball joint Sad Not my day.
All sorted in the end though. Yes, the front bushes are a bit of a pain (but still quite cheap) so if you've got any concerns about the ball joints then this is the way to go. Wish(bone) I had done it earlier.  
 Grin
Cheers,
Graham
IP Logged
sad_eyes

'98 Ultima 24v  + '97 2.3 Ultima estate

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Sep 15th, 2011, 1:25pm »

Sorry meant front bushes.
Another CRAFT moment
Cant Remember A Flipping Thing.
Dave
IP Logged
SteveO

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 29th, 2011, 9:14am »

NOTE: The lower arm retaining bolts should be tightened with the weight of the vehicle on its wheels.

I fitted new suspension arms yesterday and FORGOT to leave them slack as per the note above........ I'd even printed off the notes and still forgot  Undecided

Can I get away with slackening them with the car's weight on, rolling it a bit then re-tightening or do I have to jack up completely, slacken, drop the car then re-tighten?

SteveO
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Oct 29th, 2011, 1:08pm »

Just slacken both ends and retighten.
I drove mine out to the front of the house with the centre bolts/nuts loose - partly to settle them & partly to park half on the kerb to give more room to swing the spanner.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
SteveO

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 29th, 2011, 1:15pm »

Cheers, all done now and tracked. Glad to be rid of the vibration annd wobble.

Is it legal to have different size tyres on front and rear? I have 215x55x16 on the front and just noticed 225x55x16 on the rear?
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 29th, 2011, 3:53pm »

Tyres must be of the same size on the same axle.   So you'll be ok.   I have my winter wheels on at the moment, 205's on the rear, 195's on the front.   If you use the steel spare on the car because of a puncture you are restricted to 50mph.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
lesterlad aka Rodders

2.3 Ghia x Estate (Manual)

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 29th, 2011, 9:16pm »

on Oct 29th, 2011, 3:53pm, PJDavis wrote:
Tyres must be of the same size on the same axle.   So you'll be ok.   I have my winter wheels on at the moment, 205's on the rear, 195's on the front.   If you use the steel spare on the car because of a puncture you are restricted to 50mph.

Oh dear, earlier in the year I had my unused spare transferred onto an alloy and now using it as a normal tyre on the rear.

I couldn't see anywhere on it that stated any speed restriction.  
IP Logged

There's are methods to my madness!!! I'm not sure what the methods are but there's definitely madness in them
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 29th, 2011, 9:35pm »

No Rodders,I reckon PJ is confused with all the modern cobblers relating to those funny little temporary spares,and possibly differential in tyre sizes and types across individual axles.The type of metal from which the rim is made should have no bearing on road speed.
                 GOZZ.
IP Logged
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Oct 29th, 2011, 9:44pm »

If you use the steel spare on the car because of a puncture you are restricted to 50mph.

I think this relates to the space saver spares as they tend to be smaller than the ones on the car.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Oct 30th, 2011, 8:49am »

The Steel rimmed Spare is a FULL size wheel and as such has NO SPEED restrictions . The speed restricted ones are the those silly little ones fitted in a lot of modern cars.

The scorpio did in some of the lower specification only come with steel rims. MY 12v did.  
If in doubt call in to your local tyre fitter and he will explain in detail.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Oct 30th, 2011, 9:21am »

My steel spare came with a 195/65 x 15 tyre but the tyres on the other 4 wheels are 225/50 x 16 : difference in rolling radius only about 10mm. I was never comfortable about the possibility of being in a postion which could leave me running with odd sized tyres on the same axle and as the spare was 14 years old not 100% happy about using it anyway so I got hold of a spare alloy and had a matching sized tyre fitted.
Although you can run different sized tyres front & rear they should legally be the same size on each axle and the larger ones I think must be fitted to the rear Huh Exception seems to be 'temporary use' of spacesaver spares and the 50mph max restriction...although I've seen cars doing 70mph+ on a motorway fitted with one  Shocked
Not sure what the boys in blue would make of running with a full sized spare but of a different size Huh
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.