Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 1:39am

Balance: £24.15
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2.3 16v won't crank/no power »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   2.3 16v won't crank/no power
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2.3 16v won't crank/no power  (Read 723 times)
mcadam

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

2.3 16v won't crank/no power
« on: Jun 5th, 2021, 6:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all.

I went to an air line yesterday and in the 5 minutes it took to fill the tyres, the car lost all power but the battery, airbag and oil light remained lit (with key out of the ignition) as well as the auto box trim light.

I attempted to jump start it thinking it was the battery with no luck so resorted to calling break down. All fuses and battery were deemed to be ok so it gets towed to the nearest garage. I was about to leave when I heard the door chime in the car - it then starts first time! It is obviously an electrical fault as whilst driving, the rev limiter bounces, lights in the dash are dimmer and the passenger door mirror is in the permanently dipped position as if the car had been in reverse.

As soon as I arrive home with the car and take the key out of the ignition, it won't start again. However, when I turn the headlight switch I can hear the relays nake a click in the fuse box.

Am I on the right lines of thinking that this could be a bad earth? The car has always been well maintained and never suffered any electrical issues in my ownership.

Any help appreciated.  
Thanks.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: 2.3 16v won't crank/no power
« Reply #1 on: Jun 5th, 2021, 7:42pm »

Check the headlight switch. There is a known issue with one of the pins overheating and causing problems.
Here I take it you have a battery cover fitted and both fuseboxes are dry and the drain holes clear?
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
mcadam

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 6th, 2021, 8:56am »

on Jun 5th, 2021, 7:42pm, Simmo wrote:
Check the headlight switch. There is a known issue with one of the pins overheating and causing problems.
Here I take it you have a battery cover fitted and both fuseboxes are dry and the drain holes clear?

I hadn't realised that it was a common issue. The strange thing is that when I went to start the car up again when it was in the garage, the headlight switch was turned on but the headlights weren't actually on.

Would it be a case of me buying a new headlight switch to test out the theory or can it be repaired?
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 6th, 2021, 12:51pm »

So far as headlight switches go just get a new one, try fleabay but bear in mind there are 2 types due to no fog lights on lower spec cars/estates.

They are a different  colour so even the ford mechanics can tell 'em apart. Probably all in the site here, or a more intelligent member will advise.
 Cheesy
IP Logged

Cosworth Scorpio only 46 on the road now NOW down to 42.
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 6th, 2021, 12:52pm »

It is usually one of the pins on the switch or in the corresponding connector which will show obvious signs of overheating if that is the culprit. It really depends upon the level of damage but I believe repairs have been made by bypassing the connector with a section of cable. The multiplug can be clearly seen in the final diagram on the link.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
mcadam

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 6th, 2021, 3:04pm »

Thanks for the information so far. I have just attempted to start the car again with no luck. However, something I noticed is that when I turn the headlight switch to the off position, the fuel and temp gauge go to the half way point and if I turn the switch on, they return to their original positions. This happens without the key in the ignition  Undecided
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 6th, 2021, 4:12pm »

Clearly the lighting switch is the clue!!
Something is causing a leak of current and as these items are illuminated it seems to be tracking to them!
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
mcadam

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 8th, 2021, 12:37am »

A quick update on this; I replaced the headlight switch but this didn't resolve the problem. Something I noticed is that the air con panel/gear slector lights are staying on without any key in the ignition. The only sign of life is a buzz from the fuse box when I turn wither the sidelights or headlight switch on. Something else I forgot to mention that when I picked the car up feom the garage, it only started up as somebody had left the headlight switch on. However, the rev gauge was bouncing erratically on the return journey.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 8th, 2021, 7:09am »

OK one other thing to check is the cigar lighter socket on the front consul . It IS permanently LIVE and can short out and cause problems. Always worth a check if it wasn't the headlight switch.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
mcadam

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 9th, 2021, 7:57pm »

The auto mechanic came out today and had the car started in minutes. He has told me that the ground harness is the culprit and thinks that it is corroded. He was of the opinion that I would be best trying to source one - they have been wire brushed to the extent that there is no visible corrosion but it still won't start. I did also notice a split in the harness so have used electrical tape. Does anybody know if these are readily available from Ford still?

Many thanks!
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 10th, 2021, 8:22am »

How did he start it, if it will not start for you?
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
mcadam

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jun 11th, 2021, 6:40pm »

He bypassed the battery straight to the starter motor using his setup. He seems to think that there is corrosion somewhere in the lead which connects to the negative terminal (the black wires which split into two parts). There is no visible corrosion however. Is it likely that this is the culprit or could it just be the battery clamps which have more visible corrosion?
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jun 12th, 2021, 9:57am »

Sounds like you may have other problems, but it makes sense to clean all earthing points, the ones on the battery, the 2 side by side on the panel in front of the battery & one to the back of the engine near the EGR - there may be others, just what springs to mind.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.