Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 21st, 2019, 9:11pm


Balance: £6.30
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 24v Cossie Gearbox Speed Sender »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   How to do things!
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   24v Cossie Gearbox Speed Sender
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 24v Cossie Gearbox Speed Sender  (Read 797 times)
Gingerbeer
Newbie
*



I'm a YaBB newbie!

   
View Profile

Posts: 23
24v Cossie Gearbox Speed Sender
« on: Jan 14th, 2017, 2:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Recently, thanks to a few clues on this forum, I realised that the sudden strange behaviour of my speedometer and associated stuff like cruise control, gear changes was due to a problem with the Speed Sensor at the back of the gearbox.
It would cost £150 from anywhere including Ford and I thought I had better have a look under the car first.
It turned out that the wire is above the exhaust and sort of protected by a heat shield or two. Unfortunately the shield does not go all the way to the back of the gearbox and leaves about a 5" gap. Anyway, the outer protection sleeve had fallen apart and the wires had been rubbing on the edge of the heat shield and had cut all the way through one and part way through the other two.  
Not surprising it was giving trouble.  
I do now remember strange 'locking in gear' a few times in the past.
All repaired now. Fiddly after bending the heat shield out of the way and the wire cleaned up, soldered and sleeved with shrink sleeving. I then wrapped the wire in aluminium tape to give some heat protection.
IP Logged
Nunnspoet
Full Member
***



I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

   
View Profile

Posts: 693
Re: 24v Cossie Gearbox Speed Sender
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14th, 2017, 8:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Smiley Thanks Gingerbeer. You may have read that I have problems as stated.  So  when I can get under my car I will certainly check the wiring thoroughly.
 
Mike
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator
*****



I'm an OAP !

   
View Profile

Posts: 5404
Re: 24v Cossie Gearbox Speed Sender
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14th, 2017, 11:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thank you Gingerbeer. That sort of detail is exactly what helps to resolve these sort of issues and adds to the existing knowledge.
 
Mike, if you find the same situation perhaps you'd add to this thread.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Gingerbeer
Newbie
*



I'm a YaBB newbie!

   
View Profile

Posts: 23
Re: 24v Cossie Gearbox Speed Sender
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14th, 2017, 3:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 14th, 2017, 11:44am, Simmo wrote:
Thank you Gingerbeer. That sort of detail is exactly what helps to resolve these sort of issues and adds to the existing knowledge.
 
Mike, if you find the same situation perhaps you'd add to this thread.  Wink

 
I don't seem to be able to post a picture any more.
Colin
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator
*****



Xtremely BAD tempered and easily upset.

   
View Profile Email

Posts: 6205
Re: 24v Cossie Gearbox Speed Sender
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15th, 2017, 8:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify


Picture posting working for ME
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Nunnspoet
Full Member
***



I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

   
View Profile

Posts: 693
Re: 24v Cossie Gearbox Speed Sender
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18th, 2017, 8:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Regards checking the wiring etc:  
Once I can get under my car (weather permitting) and have checked the wiring and connectors out I will report with pleasure.   Smiley.
 
Mike
IP Logged
Gingerbeer
Newbie
*



I'm a YaBB newbie!

   
View Profile

Posts: 23
Re: 24v Cossie Gearbox Speed Sender
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21st, 2017, 2:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 14th, 2017, 2:53am, Gingerbeer wrote:
Recently, thanks to a few clues on this forum, I realised that the sudden strange behaviour of my speedometer and associated stuff like cruise control, gear changes was due to a problem with the Speed Sensor at the back of the gearbox.
It would cost £150 from anywhere including Ford and I thought I had better have a look under the car first.
It turned out that the wire is above the exhaust and sort of protected by a heat shield or two. Unfortunately the shield does not go all the way to the back of the gearbox and leaves about a 5" gap. Anyway, the outer protection sleeve had fallen apart and the wires had been rubbing on the edge of the heat shield and had cut all the way through one and part way through the other two.  
Not surprising it was giving trouble.  
I do now remember strange 'locking in gear' a few times in the past.
All repaired now. Fiddly after bending the heat shield out of the way and the wire cleaned up, soldered and sleeved with shrink sleeving. I then wrapped the wire in aluminium tape to give some heat protection.

Hope fully, here is a link to the picture https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbgdr5ss6tecjxq/Damaged%20Wire.jpg?dl=0
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator
*****



I'm an OAP !

   
View Profile

Posts: 5404
Re: 24v Cossie Gearbox Speed Sender
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21st, 2017, 3:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thank you for the picture. No wonder you had a problem!. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Gingerbeer
Newbie
*



I'm a YaBB newbie!

   
View Profile

Posts: 23
Re: 24v Cossie Gearbox Speed Sender
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21st, 2017, 4:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 21st, 2017, 3:26pm, Simmo wrote:
Thank you for the picture. No wonder you had a problem!. Smiley

Yes. it surprised me as well. The car had been locking in gear occasionally for quite some time and I couldn't work out why. Eventually it got worse, the speed was on and off, which of course stopped the cruise control working and sometimes it couldn't work out what gear it was supposed to be in. Can't blame it really. What gave me a clue, although I did at first think it was the sped sensor, was that it seemed variably when going around a corner or turning. It made sense in the end.
Colin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.