Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 10:08pm

Balance: £4.15
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 24V 2.9 1996auto: CO problems and fuel consumption »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   24V 2.9 1996auto: CO problems and fuel consumption
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 24V 2.9 1996auto: CO problems and fuel consumption  (Read 881 times)
MS

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

24V 2.9 1996auto: CO problems and fuel consumption
« on: Mar 21st, 2004, 1:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi!

I have the following problem on my Cosworth: CO tester shows CO 0.4 - 0.5, sometimes it jums to 2.0, and then slowly goes down.
I've tested my car at Ford dealer with Ford computer - no error codes, everything fine, only one lambda behaved unnormaly. I've changed that lambda, but picture absolytely the same. The other 2 lambdas shows that catalyst is OK. When I drive 50-70km/h  I have the following problem:
When I release acclelerator and pressing slowly the brake it rizes RPMs from 1500 to 2200, and do not let me to brake, afterwards it slowly gows down as it should be. If I put from"D" to "N" in that moment RPMs are going to 1500-2000, and then slowly goes down again. Sometimes when accelerating it seems that gearbox switches to wrong gear. Ford dealer can't do nothing: they says computer shows that everything fine.... And CO is just catalyst is dead (but computer shows that aftercatalyst lambdas are fine). Oil and filter was changed 5000km ago.  So, if anyone knows what couls be the problem - please help!
IP Logged
Steve_S

1997 scorpio ultima 2.9 24v lpg

stevexxxuk2001  
View Profile Email

Re: 24V 2.9 1996auto: CO problems and fuel consump
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21st, 2004, 2:04pm »

Try cleaning the maff sensor, if the wire is dirty then it could be causing some of the problems, so for a couple on mines work its worth doing.
IP Logged

Steve S
MS

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21st, 2004, 2:10pm »

That's what was done first.
IP Logged
stockcar888

nice butt, shame about its face

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21st, 2004, 5:58pm »

have you checked for air leaks on injection system,i had similar symptoms on an old shape scorp turned out to be leak in flexible intake pipe Smiley
IP Logged

1996 2.5 td ghia saloon
MS

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21st, 2004, 7:35pm »

If you could help with detailed procedure - what to check and how to find air leakage I'll do it myself. It seems that even if Ford dealer own good equipment they could not solve the problem...
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 21st, 2004, 8:00pm »

put a rubber tube in your ear and move the other end all over suspect areas of the engine .. you will hear either a whistle or a sucking noise .. when you identify a noise you think resembles that.. then spray some WD40 or if it's an accessible place ..some 3 in one oil by the leak .. if the revs change immediately then you will have identified the leak .. rectify accordingly ..usually a rubber vacuum pipe leak or alternatively something like an inlet manifold seepage ..  regards ......STN
IP Logged

MS

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26th, 2004, 3:58pm »

Thanks Dr. STN! I've inspected all the area near manifold with the pipe in eyar Smiley)

Definitly, the sound near one t-connactor differs...
What do you think, is it T-Connector problem, or I need to tighten pipe to connector? That t-connector looks like plastic piece of nuts....

I've applied acetone spray to that area, but have not noticed any change in RMPs.  

Any other ideas?  
Could it be also TPS? How often TPS fails on Cosworts?
On my 2.9 12V'90 I had failed TPS with same behavior, I've spent hell of a lot time at Ford dealer to diagnose the problem (as the computer shows nothing), until tried myself to change it from one broken Scorpio.  

How 96 Cosworth behaves, if TPS failed?
(Diagnostic test shows that everything fine - when accelerating it shows ok, when release pedal, it also fine..), but does it really provide linear voltage, according the angle of accelerator?
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 27th, 2004, 5:58pm »

the " tee piece " is a very common problem .. and not available ..the guys here get them from all sorts of places or make them .. it's often an " h " piece in fact ... STN
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.