Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 30th, 2024, 7:07pm

Balance: £9.15
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 24V Cosworth mystic stalling problem »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   24V Cosworth mystic stalling problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 24V Cosworth mystic stalling problem  (Read 2832 times)
theogrenietis

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

24V Cosworth mystic stalling problem
« on: Jul 25th, 2018, 4:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey guys, I`m new to the forum, but I have high hopes that some of the guru`s here will help me.  
So I purchased a 95 ultima cosworth in november, for 450 EUR (400GPB), with 280 000 km (173k miles) on the clock, in very good condition.  
First 2000 km the car ran flawlessly, but after that, it developed a misfire at high revs (close at red line) and after that the car developed the worst problem ever, an intermittent stalling problem - while driving on the highway at constant speed the car would just stall without any warning, like someone just turned off the ignition and it is not possible to get the car going anymore for at least a few hours. When the car cools, it always starts like nothing has happened. This problem is so annoying because always when I want to find the culprit, the car works, yesterday I did 300km (200 miles) and it died while going along in the city at slow speeds.  
I started with changing the fuel filter, because I thought this was the problem, when nothing changed I did numerous tests with the fuel pressure o`meter, and came to the conclusion that there is no problem in the fuel system, fuel pressure regulator also works. When the problem occurs, there is no big change in the fuel pressure readings, so it makes me think that the problem is electrical.  
Also I spent the last month to renew all the wiring harness, which I thought was the problem and it isn`t, because it didn`t change anything.  
The only DTC is lean mixture lambda, because of an air leak from the idle valve, which makes the car run rough at idle, but I will change it when I get the valve from my mate.  

What are your thoughts? Please feel free to ask any questions to better understand the problem.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: 24V Cosworth mystic stalling problem
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25th, 2018, 5:41pm »

Hi

Similar problems have been reported, you may find answers in earlier posts.

The 3 core shielded cable between the Edis & PCM can cause problems but I assume you've replaced it when you renewed the harness.
Not a solution, but sometimes with this type of thing disconnecting the battery for a few seconds may get it going again.
You could try swapping the engine management relay.

What code reader and software are you using?
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
theogrenietis

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 25th, 2018, 6:58pm »

I have read all the threads I could find regarding 24v problems and nothing quite matches my case. I will try the battery removal and also change the relay

on Jul 25th, 2018, 5:41pm, Tompion wrote:
Hi

Similar problems have been reported, you may find answers in earlier posts.

The 3 core shielded cable between the Edis & PCM can cause problems but I assume you've replaced it when you renewed the harness.
Not a solution, but sometimes with this type of thing disconnecting the battery for a few seconds may get it going again.
You could try swapping the engine management relay.

What code reader and software are you using?

IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 26th, 2018, 9:07am »

Before you do any more Clean the MAF . Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
theogrenietis

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 26th, 2018, 7:34pm »

I have used some kind of BOSCH high tech service program and torque pro app on the phone.
Cleaning the MAF was the first thing to do, but that did no change a thing.
Can you elaborate on the "shielded" wires? Because they were regular wires before and I replaced them with regular ones as well.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26th, 2018, 9:27pm »

If you go here & follow the link to the diagrams & download 2_9_24V_IGNITION.pdf:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=admin;action=dis play;num=1268901956

On the first page of the pdf you’ll see the wires to pins 1,3 & 4 of the EDIS module have a dotted circle around them signifying shielding.
On the 2.3 it’s in the loom that runs from the PCM in the passenger footwell, along the passenger side of the engine & across the front of the radiator to the EDIS – but whether the route on the 24v is the same I don’t know.
I can post a link later to the wire I used to replace mine.
IP Logged

Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27th, 2018, 7:11am »

The wires to the crankshaft sensor should be twisted pair but what problems you might get with interference without the twist I don't know.
IP Logged

theogrenietis

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 27th, 2018, 8:09am »

I will take a look at the loom in the front of the radiator, because I didn't do anything to it. Link for the shielded wire would be nice as well
IP Logged
theogrenietis

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jul 27th, 2018, 8:12am »

The biggest problem is diagnosing the problem when it occurs, because if the car stalls, it could fire up after 5 mins or after 5hrs. I could check if there is power coming to the injectors, but they are not as easily accesible and they stop firing after 2 secs anyway. It is entirely possible that while I get to the injectors, the car has decieded to work and there will be power coming to the injectors.
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 27th, 2018, 11:30pm »

This is an electrical problem.   Look at what was last done to the car and the area where it was done.   Something has been disturbed, probably a wiring-loom or such.   The wires are poor on this car, so look for this first.   Is the left-side fuse-box free of water?   Has it been removed, and not put back properly?   Simple things, like has the battery got the proper cover on it?   Look carefully through the forum for the probable signs.

But most important, keep telling us what you are doing to sort the problem, and if any of what we say helps, if you don't, we shall think you are fixed.   If you keep posting with the problem, we shall keep trying to help.

Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
theogrenietis

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jul 28th, 2018, 10:46am »

So i checked the engine management relay, it is not to blame, because the car runs even when I remove it. Both fuses boxes look in too condition and they have all the covers. Also I replaced both crankshaft and camshaft sensors, nothing changed. Can somebody explain where can I find those 3 wires which go to the EDIS? I checked the loom in front of the radiator, I think it only consists of wires for the headlamps and the washers.
IP Logged
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jul 29th, 2018, 9:25am »

Similar happened to me 2 months ago - not at high speed but when I took foot off power when approaching junction. Car restarted straight away. Cleaned the Idle air control valve with carb cleaner and problem gone. This may not be the root cause of your problem but it's only a 10 minute job and may help anyway. Cleaning the MAF also recommended.

Out of interest, I did a search for new IACV for cosworths - seems they're no longer available (Ford or others)
Sad
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jul 30th, 2018, 3:15am »

The headlight wires run along the top. If you scroll down to the first picture on the right here you’ll see where the engine loom is at bumper level:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/gearbox1.htm

It’s probably best not to disturb the loom unless you have to - you may have to replace the lot if it breaks up.
You can run the 3 core separately but of course it may not be your problem.
Can't say where the EDIS is on the 24v it's under the header tank on my 2.3, you can get the wire colours & pin numbers to look for from the pdf I linked to previously.
I used this wire I needed 3meters but it’s out of stock:
https://www.gps.co.uk/3-core-18-awg-screened-airframe-wire/p-0-1815/

They do a thinner gauge & I don’t think it matters for this but I wanted to use a similar size to the original.
There’s this on ebay but they don’t give the gauge:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202360847339

or this from brands hatch performance, I emailed and asked the gauge & temp rating but didn’t get a reply:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122746020961
IP Logged

theogrenietis

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Aug 2nd, 2018, 11:31pm »

So I managed to get info about the shielded wires and where to get them, that is not a problem anymore. I was just reading this article : http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/24vlooms.htm and the one thing which comes up all the time is that the Fuel Pump relay is giving signal to bunch of different things and I suspect, that maybe I need to investigate it a bit further.  
In other news, I a different Idle speed valve, made a small difference. Drove for like 30 mins and then the car started to act up, first time I got it going by removing the battery for 2 mins, second time it also worked, but when it died the 3rd time I could not get it going. While my friend was towing me home I managed to start the car while being towed in neutral, very strange. Also I found a video of the car misfiring badly when the it starts to act up, will post a link tomorrow.
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Aug 3rd, 2018, 9:42am »

Umm, a long shot: One of my Cosworths developed a stalling problem. it turned out to be the AC Pump stating to seize up.  The engine would occasionally struggle whist waiting for traffic to move on. She would sometimes feel heavy on the throttle at different speeds etc. Try disconnecting the AC Pump belt and driving normally for some time. You never know, it might solve your problem.

Best regards and good luck

Mike  Smiley
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Aug 3rd, 2018, 10:58am »

on Aug 3rd, 2018, 9:42am, Nunnspoet wrote:
Umm, a long shot: One of my Cosworths developed a stalling problem. it turned out to be the AC Pump stating to seize up.  The engine would occasionally struggle whist waiting for traffic to move on. She would sometimes feel heavy on the throttle at different speeds etc. Try disconnecting the AC Pump belt and driving normally for some time. You never know, it might solve your problem.

Best regards and good luck

Mike  Smiley

A/C pump is driven off the serpentine belt which also drives the water pump, power steering & alternator.
find the relay in the auxiliary fuse box - that is the one on the passenger side next to the battery - and remove the  A/C compressor relay which will stop the compressor clutch from engaging and the pulley should then just turn in idle mode.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Aug 3rd, 2018, 2:30pm »

Mike, trying to add to your post I see that Fuse 35 is said to cover the Air Con Compressor whilst Relay 24 says Aircon.

Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Aug 3rd, 2018, 4:50pm »

The 24v has a separate belt for the aircon.
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Aug 3rd, 2018, 8:32pm »

Thank you Dave. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Aug 3rd, 2018, 9:00pm »

My A/C belt only drives the compressor  Huh
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.